Dr. Lisanne Gibson is currently an ARC Postdoctoral Research Fellow (I) at The Australian Centre, The University of Melbourne. She has previously held Fellowships at the Australian Key Centre for Cultural and Media Policy, Griffith University; the Cultural Policy Research Unit, Nottingham Trent University; the Centre for Cultural Policy and Management, University of Northumbria; and, the Privatisation of Culture Project, New York University. In 2004 she will take up a nine month Fellowship at the Centre for Cultural Policy Research at Princeton University.|
Lisanne's research involves the analysis of contemporary cultural policy frameworks and she also the history of cultural support in Anglophone countries. Lisanneís central theoretical interest is in the historically specific ways in which cultural policy constructs the ëpublic interestí. Lisanne's work examines the ways in which cultural programs, whether articulated as mono-cultural or multi-cultural, high art or pop music, are centrally about the construction of different forms of identity. She is author of The Uses of Art: Constructing Australian Identity (2001) and with Joanna Besley, An Eccentric History of Queensland Public Art (2003) both published by the University of Queensland Press.
- Gibson, Lisanne, The Uses of Art: Constructing Australian Identities, University of Queensland Press, Brisbane, 2001. [ Details... ]
- Gibson, Lisanne, An Eccentric History of Queensland Public Art, University of Queensland Press, Brisbane, 2003 (forthcoming). [ Details... ]
- Gibson, L. and T. O’Regan (eds), 'Culture: Development, Industry, Distribution', Media International Australia, no. 102, February, Media International Australia, 2002. [ Details... ]
- Gibson, Lisanne, 'Art, Citizenship and Government: Art for the People in New Deal America and the 1940s in England and Australia', Culture and Policy, vol. 8, no. 3, 1997, pp. 41-56. [ Details... ]
- Gibson, Lisanne, 'The Real Business of Life: Art and Citizenship during the Australian Post-War Reconstruction', Cultural Studies Review (formerly UTS Review), vol. 8, no. 1, May, 2002, pp. 45-58. [ Details... ]
- Gibson, Lisanne, 'Creative Industries and Cultural Development: Still the Janus Face?', Culturelink Special Issue 2001: Convergence, Creative Industries and Civil Society, The New Cultural Policy, 2002, pp. 99-110. [ Details... ]